Top of main content

Financial and domestic abuse

Need urgent help but unable to speak freely?

If you’re in immediate danger, call 999. If you can’t speak:

  • press 55 when prompted if you’re on a mobile
  • you may be prompted to cough or make some sort of noise if you’re calling from a landline
  • stay on the line

This will indicate that you need immediate help. Your call will be transferred automatically to the police.

What is financial abuse?

Financial abuse is a form of domestic abuse.

It can also occur in other relationships such as between friends or with carers.

If you’re reading this because you or someone you know is suffering financial or domestic abuse, there is help available

Financial abuse can take many forms.

It can be partners, family members, friends or carers who carry out the abuse.

For example, they might force their victim to hand over control of their bank accounts.

They might stop them from spending on essentials or take out credit in their name without their knowledge.

It could happen to you or to someone you know.

HSBC UK has signed up to UK Finance’s Code of Practice on financial abuse. Our aim is to support victims of financial abuse so they can regain control of their finances. If you’re suffering from financial abuse, we may be able to help. Please call us on 03457 404 404 to discuss this with one of our colleagues. We’ve listed some steps below that you could take on your own if you prefer not to speak to anyone. The organisations below are also good at listening and giving advice.

Read the UK Finance guide ‘It’s your money’, published 2018:

Cards, PINs and passwords

If you’re concerned that someone else has your card details or PIN, we can send you a new card. You can also change your PIN at an ATM. You may also want to change your log on details for your online and phone banking to make sure that your accounts are more secure.

Receiving post from us

We understand that it might be difficult for you to receive post at your home address. If this is the case, you can opt for online statements. You can also change your address so that your post goes to a trusted friend or family’s home instead. You’ll need to be registered for online banking to do this, or if you’re set up for phone banking, give us a call.

Third Party access

You can set up a third party to look after your accounts for you if you’re struggling to manage them yourself. Read more about what a third party account holder can do.

Joint accounts

If you have a joint account and you’re no longer together, you can ask us to change the way it’s set up. Both parties would have to sign for any transactions going out of the account. This means your regular payments would still be made, but nothing else could go out without your knowledge. You can also ask us to suspend the account to make sure that no transactions are made.

Opening a new account

When you’re ready to think about your financial independence again, we can open a new account for you. Find out about ways to open an account.

Credit cards

If you have an HSBC credit card, you should check if you’re the primary or secondary cardholder. The primary cardholder is responsible for the repayment of all money spent on both cards if you have nominated a secondary cardholder. If you’re in any dispute, we’d recommend that you remove the secondary card as soon as possible to make sure nothing else can be spent on the card.


Any lending that you have will need to be repaid. If you’re having difficulties, please contact us on 0345 850 0622 to talk about what we can do to help.  


If you’ve been a victim of fraud, or you think that someone has taken out credit in your name, please let us know as soon as possible. You can talk to us over the phone on 03457 404 404 or by visiting one of our branches. 

Credit file

You can get a copy of your credit report online or from one of our branches. You might want to think about getting a notice of dissociation from the main credit reference agencies, Experian, TransUnion and Equifax. This will help to separate you from any joint financial arrangements. You can also register with the fraud prevention organisation Cifas. It will then be able to alert you if any credit applications are made in your name.

Other forms of domestic abuse

Domestic abuse is any controlling, coercive or threatening behaviour.  It can also include physical violence.

This can take place between people who are or have been intimate partners or family members, regardless of their gender or sexuality. This includes step and in-law family members.

Domestic abuse can take the form of:

  • psychological abuse
  • physical abuse
  • sexual abuse
  • financial abuse
  • emotional abuse

Further help

Bright Sky app

Bright Sky is a free app that provides support and information to anyone who is in an abusive relationship or is concerned about someone they know.

Features of Bright Sky:

  • available in 4 languages: English, Urdu, Punjabi and Polish
  • UK-wide directory of specialist domestic abuse support services, with contact details
  • questionnaires to assess the safety of a relationship, plus a section on dispelling myths around domestic and sexual abuse
  • secure My Journal tool to record incidents of abuse in text, audio, video or photo form, without any of the content being saved on the device itself
  • links to further resources and information on topics around domestic abuse

If you are in an abusive relationship yourself, we recommend you get a trusted friend or family member to download the app on your behalf. Please only download the Bright Sky app if it is safe to do so and you are sure that your mobile is not being monitored.

The Bright Sky app is available to download free on:

National Domestic Abuse Helpline

Operated by Refuge

0808 2000 247 24-hour helpline


Living With Abuse

0808 802 0028 Monday to Saturday 08:00–20:00


Women’s Aid


Instant messaging service 10:00 – 12:00 via website


The Men’s Advice Line

0808 801 0327 Monday to Friday 10:00–13:00 and 14:00–17:00


Money Advice Service

Find out where to get cash in an emergency


ManKind Initiative

01823 334 244 Monday to Friday 10:00–16:00 and 19:00–21:00 (except Friday evenings)


Live Fear Free Helpline

Support for men, women and children in Wales with Welsh language provision.

0808 8010 800


Elder Abuse Monday to Friday 09:00–17:00

0808 808 8141

It’s easy to get in touch online. Talk to us directly through our chat channels.